Monday, February 9, 2009

artist

Having had no sleep last night, I didn't know what the day would bring. I enjoy going to markets, so I found the local mercado and stalked up on fresh food. Delicious. Imagine freshly squeezed orange or any kind of fruit juice for about $2.00 for about a half litre.

Then I waited for my art lesson. I had arranged to meet Namiko at the cathedral because her teacher recommended her for me. Every Mexican town has a central square and it's a great place to meet. Namiko is Japanese and is living here. She studied English in Vancouver and then decided to come south. Her English is minimal and her Spanish is minimal and I don't speak Japanese. She did bring some art of hers in her bag and so all I did was try to copy what she had painted. We couldn't stop laughing because all I did was copy and she wanted me to be more creative, but I was just happy that I didn't have to think of anything to draw. Also before she came, I was sketching the gazebo in front of the cathedral and running out of space on the page, so I'm glad she brought along her masterpiece.

I will try to take a couple of lessons a week. But Namiko told me about her cooking lessons in town and the fact that she takes salsa, so I might be diverted from the painting.

I spent the afternoon with my new Dutch friend (a computer nerd( she calls herself. We listened to a female mariachi band in a lovely cafe, eating calorie laden sweets for the rest of the sunny afternoon.

The weather here is truly perfect. People are always outside, congregating and eating and playing and singing. When the weather is like this all the time, you can't help but smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment