Monday, February 9, 2009

Sundays

I stepped out onto the street and saw no cars. Only a guy with an orange vest and lots of yellow ribbon marking off the roads. Sunday is bicycle day from 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. here in Tlaquepaque. You can get a bike for free and actually go all the way to Guadalajara.(maybe 20 km(. I tried to get one, but I had come too late. It's amazing to see young and old all cycling on the streets with not a car in sight.

Apparently, Sunday is the day to go to the market at Tonala which is about a half-hour by bus from Tlaquepaque. Tlaquepaque is quite an upscale place and I was told that to get the same stuff for quite a bit less you need to go to the market at Tonala. Everyone is super friendly. Even the guy at the bus stop indulged my Spanish and shook my hand before I boarded the bus.

Tonala was very crowded with lots of artesenias. People here are very creative, but the merchandise in my town is much more crafted. It was an experience that I enjoyed in spite of the afternoon heat. Almost as hot as Bangkok.

In the evening I ventured out again because there were so many people wandering around the downtown area where I live. It's just so convenient to concerts, entertainment, people watching, food. It was very crowded and I fell on the pavement. Senora, Senora, a man called to me and helped me up. A bruised knee ( my very arthritic one( and a bruised ankle were the result. I hobbled back to my place and tried to rest. Unfortunately, there was a party at the restaurant where I live and then the dog began to bark and bark and bark all night. I don't know how I made it through the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment